Monday 14 June 2010

Election, election, election

It's that time again, folks. Yes, Liberal Youth elections are rolling around like a penny in one of those charity things at the supermarket.



I'm running for the position of Liberal Youth England Convenor. This job has, up until now, been a bit of a non-job. It hasn't done much for England, but has been, rather, another GEM. (A Very English GEM, if you will). I want to change that. I want the Convenor to be someone who works to build the regions and local parties, who is focused on England and building the party up in that way - as well as giving a greater operational voice and role to members. I've set out a clear and positive programme to do that, on my Facebook page. I hope you'll support me.

I've also taken the decision to support other candidates in this election. Some have suggested that this is because we are friends (which is undoubtedly true, but that isn't a disqualification for political office). No, I'm endorsing these people because I truly and sincerely believe they would be the best person for the job.

Charlotte Henry

She provides the energy, experience, commitment and drive to take
Liberal Youth to 'the next level'. Her stellar work in the election
campaign shows this, and I believe she deserves to continue in that
role.


Martin Shapland


Martin's impressive record as Branch Chair at Birmingham Uni, a GEM and as Chair of International Committee speak for themselves. His campaigning record and willingness to speak up for Liberal Youth will provide us with a clear and passionate voice at a vital time in the history of the organisation. He also, like me, shares a willingness to devolve power and do away with the system we are stuck with now.

Sophie Bertrand

Sophie's brilliant work advocating for us in all types of media during the general election has been outstanding. She has given her all to the Executive and I believe the hard work she has shown - as well as her commitment to the principles our party has been built upon - makes her very worthy of your first preference in these elections.

Chris Wiggin

Chris has considerable experience in campaigning for us, especially in York Outer - a key marginal for the Lib Dems in May. We didn't win, but that wasn't because of Chris' amazing work. He gave his heart and soul to that job and I know he would do the same for this role. He's also willing to campaign for many of the things that are closest to our hearts.

Sarah Harding

Sarah, at York Conference, passionately argued against the illiberal and authoritarian ContactPoint database. Her precise and clear arguments for the abolition of the database were powerful. I know that she will bring the same commitment to her principles to the Executive, which is exactly what we need on the Executive. Please consider Sarah for GEM.

Those are the candidates that I want to support most strongly. They are all excellent candidates and I hope you will consider supporting them for their respective positions. Please, too, support me for the position of England Convenor. I'm seeking a strong mandate to give power to members, and I can't do that without you. Please support Thomas Hemsley for England Convenor.

No comments:

Post a Comment